Tuesday 14 November 2017

Ms. Matusoff-with-two-Os and her kind

My mother texted me this morning.
3rd grade. 4th grade. Her captions read.
Old report cards, she said.
And then there was another.

“Yash shows interest and curiosity in all areas of her learning. She is organised. Yash works and plays cooperatively with others. She shows leadership and helps others. Next steps for Yash is to continue reading and writing stories to explore her imagination.”

Below this document, about 18 years old
Was a signature
In that classic North American crawl
M Matusoff
My mother said she wanted to email this
M Matusoff
I told her she did not know
M Matusoff
‘s first name.

M Matusoff
A Ms prefixed to her name
At an age where
Ms/Mz/Miss
Were all the same
M Matusoff
Who didn’t teach me
A-B-C or
1-2-3
But walked into class that first day
To a host of little
People
On a carpet, blue
With a flip board, white checkered paper
And a marker, black I think
And told us this
My name is
Ms. Matusoff
It has three small words in it.
Can anyone tell me what?
Mat-us-off,
she got us to chorus
But the ‘us’ is pronounced
With a double-o
Like ‘moo’
Or ‘coo’
Now who knows what
‘coo’ means?
Or why ‘pronouce’ is
Such a difficult word to
Pronounce?

Ms. Matusoff tried to
pronounce my name as well.
Yaash-aas-weenee will take the attendance today, she’d say.
Until I told her I was not
Yaash-aas-wee-nee but
Yashasvini.
Like they say in India, I told her.
She decided Yash was good enough.
It rhymed with rash.

Ms Matusoff told us stories.
I remember one from
One of those last days.
There was a lady with a cookie tray
1-2-3-4 cookies in a row
1-2-3 rows
Ms Matusoff told us this was
A big word
No, not cookies, she said.
Multiplication.
4 cookies times 3 rows.
Count them all, she said.
1-2-3-4-5-6
7-8-9-10-11-12
12 we chorused
All us little people.
And I learnt three times four was?
Twelve.
(Not three fours are, mind you. Or three into four is.
But three times four.)

Ms Matusoff got us to do
Projects
(with a capital P, like all big words ought)
Mine was on volcanoes.
I used plasticine like a
Big girl!
She invited the principal
(I don’t know her name)
And they all clapped for me.
I remember I looked at
Ms Matusoff
To see if she was proud
And she nodded at me.

Ms Matusoff gave me a
big fat blue book.
Advanced Math, she told me.
(Not Maths, just Math.)
And when she taught everyone
three times four
all over again
I sat on a desk
on a blue plastic chair
and worked through this
Big Fat Blue Book
until she told my Amma
I was good at my work.

Ms Matusoff
didn’t teach me
A-B-C or
1-2-3 though
That was Mrs. Shade.

Mrs. Shade
with her
old wrinkled skin
her soft touch
her sandboxes and
stencilled letters.
Mrs. Shade who
taught us to make
sandcastles and
Halloween masks and
Mother’s Day soap.

Mrs. Shade who
asked me why I
never told her
you got a baby brother!
Who whispered to my
Amma to make sure I was
really okay.

Mrs. Shade who
taught me to
roll up your mat,
set your own table,
always take a napkin when you serve food.
Mrs. Shade who
asked me if I would like
to use purple or blue
food colouring for
Father’s Day?

Mrs. Shade who
was so everything-we-needed
that we never for once
wondered
who was Mr. Shade?

Mrs. Shade who
fell sick one day
and needed an ambulance
so that every time
for years after
when that scary siren swung by
I would tell my Amma
maybe Mrs. Shade is inside?

The next year
there were two of them.
Ms. Miller, she was
A big lady, she was
who taught us
‘hug’ before ‘fat’
who never let us
leave the school
without sitting in the corridor
to wrap us up tight
Like a present, she’d say

Who told us her name
Robin, like the bird
and then taught us
five-year-olds
all about robins.

Ms. Miller who
I imagine in
Black pants, black shirt,
her long black hair always
worn down, like a curtain.

With her was
Ms. Camilla Fourino-Vierra.
I still don’t know
if I spell that right
but I can hear her voice,
the words tumbling off
her tongue as
she told us her story.
From Mexico, I think?
Not from here, she said.

I remember her in browns -
a beige dress that
didn’t quite hit her ankles
with brown flowers
and brown eyes
and brown hair
and a soft, lilting voice
talking to a group of
my own mini-United Nations kids
she told us,
long before we knew
UNICEF from UNESCO.

I think Ms. Vierra
fell sick too
I am not that sure
but I do know
how she treated
that Chinese boy
who did not know
English, to speak
You must help him
You must teach him
If you teach well, he will learn well.
That day, I must have been sitting next to
Hyra, from Pakistan
or Naureen or Shazma or Pritita
or maybe Jackie, of Malaysian blood
I don’t remember.
And we all nodded.
Yes, Ms. Vierra.

I do remember what
Ms. Vierra said though
of work ethik and res-pon-si-bi-li-ti
at an age when
only phonetics made sense
I do remember what
Ms. Miller taught though
of body positivity and acceptance
at an age when
her hugs spoke the language of
recess and cold winter afternoons
and space for allllll of you.
I do remember what
Mrs. Shade showed us though
How to roll mats and
how to serve cake and
how to make presents from scratch.
Effort is love is effort
at an age when
I never realised
My Amma never used the
bath salts I gave her
(She saved them
In cupboards out of my reach.)

My mother is still texting me.
This morning is filled with
the language of adults -
nostalgia, she says,
upbringing and growth.

But for me
this morning is all about
the Small Brown Girl
who sat in classrooms
far away -
a confused desi-NRI cross
(before coconuts became fashionable)
who didn’t realise
the lessons coming her way
in the spaces in between.

For me -
the not-so-Small Brown Girl -
this morning is all about
Mrs. Shade and
Ms. Miller and
Ms. Vierra and
Ms. Matusoff with two o’s.


No comments:

Post a Comment