Tuesday 5 July 2016

À Montréal, with love

Inspired by an old poem of mine recently getting published here, and reeling from a wave of nostalgia (this day, last year - Montreal Jazz Festival), here is my next attempt at poetry. Quite excited about this one. For those of you who are pro-French, pliss to write off faults as rustiness. First non-school post in a while!

--

Excusez-moi, mais…
Où est ce magasin?
Ou où est le cinema?
Oh la la! Où cette magnifique basilique!
Où est la?
Where is this shop?
The cinema?
Oh my! Or that phenomenal basilica!
Where is that?

Excusez-moi, mais…
Changez un numero
Du six à cinq
Ca devienra 2015
Change a number
From six to five
It becomes 2015
Cette jour, mais pas cet année
This day, but not this year,
Un monde different
Un monde dans l’autre
Avec une language inconnue
Les aliments unheard of
A world different
A world in another
With a langue unknown
The food pas entendu
Montreal, Juillet 2015

Aujord’hui (ou ajh)
Today (or tdy)
J’habite, je travail, je reste
Je mange et bois et dors
I live, I work, I stay
I eat and drink and sleep
Trop loin de cet été
L’année previous
Very far from that summer
The year dernière
  
Ajh
Tdy
De Montreal à Anaikatti
La seule chose qui reste
The only thing that stays
Est le francais mal
Et la confusion de le/la
Ou du/de la?
La grammaire.
La logique.
Le fragrance de la langue dans l’air.
Is the French bad
And the incertitude of le/la
Or du/de la?
The grammar.
The logic.
The parfum of the language in l’air.

La seule chose qui
Reste avec moi
De cet summer
Est une phrase
“Ca me manque”
The only thing that
Stays with me
Of that été
Is a phrase
“That me misses.”
I miss it.
Manque. C’est tout.
Miss. That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment